- Education is now a fundamental right for a child in India in the age group 6-14 years.
- All aspects of the Act are now justiciable as a Fundamental Right i.e violation of any clause of the Act can be taken up in court by any citizen – not just the person/s directly involved and adversely affected.
- Necessary number of schools shall be built in all communities within three years
- There will be no discrimination whatsoever of any kind when it comes to enrollment
- Norms and standards for all schools (government and private), including teacher qualifications, will be detailed without which no school will be recognized
- Private schools will have to reserve 25% of their seats for the disadvantaged
- The Act aims to have a standardized national curriculum
- The RTE requires significant financial provision – from the Center and the State governments.